By Cesar Trelles -10/9/2014
In our ongoing relationship with First Touch Magazine, below is my latest article on their site. As always, I have been a great advocate of the work that they do as they are truly the only publication that is soccer specific in New York. If you haven’t checked them out please do so right away!
Taken From from First Touch Magazine 10/9/14:
After battling to a scoreless draw against the Indy Eleven on Saturday, the Cosmos remain in third place in the combined season points table and did not gain any ground in the NASL Fall season table where they remain in fifth place.
Indy are proving to be a bogey team as once again the Cosmos failed to beat the expansion side despite fielding their strongest team this season. One could argue that Sebastian Guenzatti should have been included in the squad. However head coach Giovanni Savarese team selection was still the best one on paper this year.
The team lined up with the backline that won them the championship in 2013 as Roversio made his long awaited return and joined Ayoze, Hunter Freeman and captain Carlos Mendes. In midfield they went with Marcos Senna, Danny Szetela and Danny Mwanga. Their attackers were Andres Flores, Mads Stokkelien and making his first start in a while after recovering from injury, Diomar Diaz.
With this lineup and the number of chances created, the Cosmos should have beaten the team with the dubious distinction of giving up the most goals in the league this year. Andres Flores had several opportunities that he just could not finish. Mads Stokkelien also had some great efforts on goal. Marcos Senna came close with a tremendous free kick that somehow Indy goalie Kristian Nicht saved.
Turning the page on last week, head coach Giovanni Savarese remains positive about the rest of the season. He continues to stress the fact that his roster is the deepest it has been all year, and he is pleased with the fact that chances are coming. He is confident that goals will follow. That confidence and depth however didn’t prevent the Cosmos from attempting to strengthen their squad.
This week the Cosmos were looking to sign Finnish midfielder Pekka Lagerblom from Ange IF in the Swedish Leagues. Lagerblom spent some time with Werder Bremen and was selected to the Finnish national team back in 2003. Unfortunatley, due to International Transfer Certificate (ITC) rules, the Cosmos could not complete a contract with him prior to Monday’s transfer deadline.
There was lots of buzz created on Saturday when former Real Madrid legend and Spain national, Raul Gonzalez, was spotted at the Indy 11 match in the owner’s luxury suite. Raul was in town just to watch the game, but that didn’t stop the rumors flying. He stayed for the entire match, acknowledged cheering fans, but left New York without putting pen to paper. Afterwards, Raul’s friend and former teammate Marcos Senna had nothing but praise for the Spanish legend.
“It’s always a pleasure to have someone so close here sharing this moment. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get a goal and show off,” lamented, Senna. “I tell him it’s like a family here, our doors are wide open and he’s very welcome with our team.”
The club are working on a deal that would bring Raul here to play for one year and then stay to work in some other capacity in their coaching system. The Cosmos still have plans for an academy program which may tempt him to join.
Cross Island Crew Tidbits:.
• On Saturday 10/11/14, all Cosmos fans are encouraged to attend the 5 Points Supporters tailgate in the parking lot behind Social Kitchen prior to the match. Members of the Cosmos front office will be on hand distributing free “Supporters” t-shirts to all in attendance. The t-shirt will feature the current slogan of the team #rallytorepeat.
• The first 2,500 to pass through the gates on Saturday 10/11/14 for the NY Cosmos vs Ottawa Fury, will receive a free Cosmos seat cushion. Make sure to get your tickets at http://www.nycosmos.com/tickets
• In their ongoing mission to be visible in the community, the New York Cosmos are proud to host another free youth clinic this coming Sunday October 12th in Corona Queens. The clinic will be held in Corona Plaza, Roosevelt Avenue and 103rd Street Queens. Two clinics will be held with the first being from 11am-12pm and the second from 1pm to 2pm. Cosmos players will be on hand to sign autographs and the 2013 NASL Championship trophy will also be available for photo opportunities.
• Andres Flores was selected to the NASL Team Of the Week this past week for his play against the Indy Eleven this past Saturday. While he didn’t score any goals, he had three strong shots on goal that were turned away by either’s Indy’s goalie or their defensive line.
• Supporters Scarves are available Cross Island Crew Supporters Scarves are available for sale for $20. For information email email@example.com or visit http://www.crossislandcrew.com