In just over a year’s time the Five Points have come together to cheer and support their New York Cosmos. Some of the groups have bonded even a bit ore off of the field and have become friends almost like a small family. Now it’s time to write another chapter in the story of the Five Points, as soccer players in the 2014 NYC Supporters Cup.
The 7th annual NYC Supporters Club Cup is an annual one-day charity tournament that brings together supporters groups of international professional football teams. All of the event proceeds directly support inner-city kids through free soccer programs and scholarships. This year’s cup is being sponsored by NYCFC Football club and Downtown United Soccer Club. The tournament will take place this Saturday August 23rd at Pier 40 in Manhattan. First kick off is at 8am and is expected to run through at least 2:00pm. The twenty teams in the tournament have been randomly selected into four groups. Within each group, each team will face the other four teams once with the top two teams from each group advancing to the knockout playoff round. Below is a rough picture of the pools.
The Five Points are strongly encouraging any and all Cosmos fans to come down to pier 40 on Saturday and cheer on the Five Points participants as they do battle for the first time ever in the supporters cup. Five Points player Aquiles had this to say after the draw on Wednesday night which was held at Legends Sports Bar.
“I’m a little heartbroken personally because we drew Boca in our group, but we’re stoked and ready to play Saturday!”
Below is a quick summary of the rules as well as a picture of the teams that are in the “Five Points” pool. Let’s go FIVE POINTS!
2014 NYC SUPPORTERS CUP RULES
1. Games will be 20 mins long, no halftime.
2. Seven-A-Side: Minimum requirement 5 players for an official game.
3. Substitutions: Unlimited on the fly. (Goal Keeper substitutions MUST be made during teams possession).
4. Sportsmanship: All participants are to conduct themselves in a proper, respectful manner to all League representatives, game officials, & participating players. Fighting and abusive language will be subject to red cards.
5. Free Kicks: Defending players must be a minimum of 7 yards away from the ball.
6. Pass Backs: Keeper cannot use hands to play the ball.
7. No offside, no slide tackles, no aggressive reckless play.
8. Yellow Card = 2 minutes penalty, team plays a player down, unless opponent scores. 2 accumulated yellow cards = red card.
9. Red Card = Player will automatically be suspended from game.
10. Draw: If at the end of regulation time, the scores are level, the game will be recorded as a tie with each team receiving 1 point.
11. Points: W=3 points, L=0pt., D=1pt., Forfeits 2-0.
12. Referees decisions are final & binding and no protest is allowed after the game.
13. Team Captains/Coordinators responsibilities: Ensure that your respective teams are aware of the above guidelines, player’s proper behavior, & full payment of team entry dues.